Today is The Day We Fight Back!
Over the last week, we’ve been talking a lot about NSA spying and the importance of defending the Open Internet. Today, we join thousands of websites and groups worldwide to protest mass surveillance for The Day We Fight Back. Now is the time to stand up to government powers that aim to access and analyze our every digital move.
As an Internet company, the online world matters a lot to us. Mass surveillance damages the Internet’s integrity, and threatens the growth of our economic system.
From a broader perspective, the Internet is a place for freedom, not for taking it away. Digital surveillance doesn’t make us safer – it takes away our liberties.
Head over to the Tucows blog to read more about why we care about mass surveillance (and you should too!).
What we’re doing
We’re donating $1 for every domain transferred to Hover until the end of the day. All proceeds are going to EFF (Electronic Frontiers Foundation), and their efforts to protect our privacy rights online.
How you can help
Today is the day of action, and it’s up to us – the users of the Internet – to make it into a movement. Here’s what you can do to help us keep up the momentum:
- Share this blog post with your social networks.
- Join the conversation on Twitter by tweeting with the hashtag #TheDayWeFightBack.
- Change your profile photo to include a Twibbon and show you’re a proud supporter of the Open Internet.
- Add the official protest banner to your website or blog to raise awareness and push people to take effective political action.
- If you’re a resident of the US, you can actually call or email your legislators using the banner.
- Sign the petition in support of the principles against mass surveillance, and encourage others to do the same.